Monday, June 21, 2010

Artist or Craftsmen: Shrek Forever After

  This sunday I took my family into the cinema. Since my elder daughter (7y) expressed a desire that she would really like to see latest Shrek movie and my younger daughter (5y) was more than thrilled about that proposal I thought this was a good idea. It was a rainy day and seemed as a perfect match.
  However... after 15min of commercials at the beggining ... and when movie finally started I just laid back and start to enjoy. 
But ... it was not so long that I started to ask myself what the heck is wrong with me that I bothered to come to see this movie with my kids. It turned out that two thirds of the movie was dark, evil forces were on the way, Fiona attacks Shrek with the nife, ax, somebody will revenge to someone ...etc. 
Interestinglly, also two other kids in the theatre start to complain to their paretns that they do not want to watch anymore since it is "not nice". One of them even claimed very very loudly :) that the horse (riding toy) was nicer in front of the cinema so please let's go there. Hm.
Ok. So, just skip the movie you say. And, of course, you are right.  


 As my friend Ayako, excellent pianist, says about musicians but I think it can apply for all kind of artists and "artists"in any category:
 "there are two kind of artists; the artists whom understand the meaning of harmony in life and whom plays with their heart, and for a deeper meaning. These people are "coloring" with their tones. They have a fire of music inside themselves so strong so nothing can put it out, and they don´t have the urge to be the biggest "star" but sometimes it comes as a nice byproduct. Then we have the musicians, they are not artists, and doesn´t see the connection between life and music. These people doesn´t color, they don´t see the different dimensions/layers in music - like in life, and in fact everything. Sadly there´s a lot of musicians like this, and it doesn´t stop them from getting famous, and being big "stars".

And this is exactly what I felt after mentioned movie ended. I felt that some good craftmen took the idea simply to make some additional money. No added value in it, only money. Movie is done by (my opinion!) all possible "money making standards": kids, love, good-evil, transformation of main character/circumstances... and also techically movie is excellent.  

But, will I remember this movie? Hm. Now I will. Unfortunatelly also my kids will.

I don't like that my masterpieces in life are remembered like this.

Do you want your masterpieces be remebered like this?

We just have to learn to see layers in life and there is for sure more than just a money layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment